Business Advisor/Consultant – Legal Services | Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, Ottawa, Calgary
The primary responsibilities of the Consultant/Business Advisor are to assist with the implementation of projects of varying sizes and types, to manage smaller mandates and work streams and to assist with business development for consulting services both internally and with clients. The incumbent can be located in Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, Ottawa or Calgary.
Right from the start, with the strength of our people, you will be part of a creative team where the impact of each team member’s attitude and productivity is exponential.
The successful candidate will bring a consulting mindset – prepared to try new things, think creatively and is committed to implementing new processes and technologies to service and exceed clients’ goals, both internal and external.
This is a national role, and you may be required to travel (maximum 25% of time).
You must be comfortable working remotely and be enthusiastic about adopting new technologies and embracing innovation.
Summary of Responsibilities:
- Work directly on client and internal engagements across multiple project types, creating deliverables, leading project activities and supporting the project manager as needed
- Understand critical business issues within BLG, Beyond and clients’ organizations
- Develop and maintain relationships with senior clients and internal sponsors and stakeholders
Management of Mandates and Workstreams:
- Develop approach and implementation tactics to execute consulting mandates
- Work on multiple client and internal engagements
- Measure project progress, client benefits and budget expectation achievement
- Identify and manage key risks to timeline, scope and deliverables as they pertain to consulting engagements
- Monitor and manage engagement financials and profitability
- Support business development activities (e.g. proposal development) to win external consulting opportunities
- Act on opportunities to leverage existing mandates for the addition of consulting mandates as appropriate
This role provides privileged access to the inner workings of the Firm and to highly sensitive information. The successful candidate will be discrete, high-energy, agile-minded, strategic, proactive, a direct communicator, highly organized and committed to the vision and values of the Firm.
In addition, the following standards will generally define the successful incumbent:
- Project management experience mixed between internal and external engagements
- Minimum ten years of proven business or project experience; Consulting experience preferred
- Experience delivering business transformations in a professional services environment preferred
- Working knowledge of the principles and frameworks of successful project management, in addition to business transformations
- Working knowledge of change management theory, practices, and their application in a professional services environment
- Proven experience in providing service to internal stakeholders and external clients to achieve successful project and program outcomes
- Experience with project and program delivery and acceptance processes within a fast-paced professional services environment, ideally with experience in a legal firm or partnership setting
- Demonstrated strength in problem solving, decision making, and sound judgment
- Strong professional presence and ability to uphold the Firm’s standards of business and personal conduct
- Ability to maintain a high level of strict confidentiality
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent relationship building and interpersonal skills
- Strong collaboration and team skills
- Self-motivated and self-sufficient
- A “can do” attitude and willingness to go the extra mile when required
- Experienced user of MS Office software (Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
- Demonstrated ability to learn and succeed in a fast-paced environment
- Flexible in working style and willing to learn new ways, methods and approaches
- Innovative and creative thinker
- High degree of personal confidence and drive
- Versatile and able to manage multiple priorities across numerous possible project types with minimal guidance