Legal Assistant – Litigation Law | Toronto ON
The Legal Assistant within our Litigation Department requires a unique blend of skills and experience providing general litigation and administrative support in our Litigation Department. The position will require a confident, reliable and business-minded assistant with the ability to manage multiple tasks and adapt to changing priorities.
The successful candidate will be organized, discreet, detail-oriented, and have a client-first approach to work. In addition, the successful applicant must be team-oriented and accustomed to working as a work team with other assistants. Generally, the hours of work are from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and subject to flexibility to meet client needs; pre-authorized overtime may be required.
Summary of Responsibilities:
- Drafting, preparing and typing of correspondence, accounts, pleadings, briefs, various litigation documents and court forms.
- Arranging for service and filing of documents and related instructions to process servers/agents, and for periodic acceptance of service of documents.
- Preparing and maintaining a bring-forward system and diarizing court dates, examinations for discovery, meetings, and appointments.
- Entering and maintaining on a timely basis lawyer’s dockets in Elite, and coordinating with Accounting Department as required.
- Dealing with and responding to client inquiries and conducting follow up as required.
- Managing files and records per the policy of the firm and maintaining precedent systems as may be required.
- Processing incoming and outgoing mail, including maintenance of email accounts and managing bring forwards.
- General administrative duties such as scheduling appointments and meetings, photocopying materials, booking meeting rooms, making travel arrangements, etc.; working with other related Departments/services internally to provide documents and other materials on time to meet client needs.
- Performing transcription from tapes or digital formats.
- Preparing and updating forms such as cheque requisitions and expense reports.
- Updating and maintaining client/matter lists.
- Maintaining and organizing files in accordance with the firm’s standards and policy.
- Demonstrating a team approach; supporting and standing in for colleagues to cover absences; ensuring strict adherence to confidentiality; accountability in relation to both internal and external clients to achieve outputs and goals for the Department and the Firm.
- Other duties as assigned.
Core Skills & Requirements:
- This position requires a minimum of three years litigation work experience.
- Knowledge of civil litigation procedures, sound understanding of the Rules of Civil Procedure and related Forms, and Practice Directions.
- Passion for working in a team environment, willing to help others and comfortable with sharing work assignments.
- Ability to produce a high quality and quantity of work, occasionally under tight timelines.
- Able to meet deadlines, work well under pressure and take initiative using sound judgment.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (both verbal and written).
- Technology-savvy with excellent technical proficiency in Microsoft Office applications.
- Knowledge of accounting/docketing systems and data management systems (i.e. Elite and iManage).
- Excellent organizational/follow up skills; attention to detail, proof reading and accuracy are required.
- Professional client and telephone manner and a proven track record of working with confidential information.
- Able to work independently in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment.
- Must have excellent problem solving skills, the ability to work with little instruction or supervision and be internally motivated.
- Professionalism demonstrated with colleagues, clients both in person and conversing by phone.
- Strong grammatical skills, including punctuation and proofreading, attention to detail and accuracy are a must.
- Demonstrated commitment to privacy and ethical conduct.