Legal Assistant – Patents | Toronto ON
In this position as Patent Legal Assistant you will manage the daily activities of Legal Professionals, as well as providing team support. You will have a strong worth ethic, be collaborative, professional, adaptable, and positive with excellent attention to details.
Summary of Responsibilities:
- Draft pro forma responses to official actions based on client instructions on patent files, prepare drafts of reporting letters, and format and finalize agreements.
- Handle inquiries from clients and internal contacts and independently prepare routine correspondence, involving professionals when necessary.
- Organize client requests and independently keep track of due dates and deadlines on upcoming patent files, consulting with professionals as appropriate.
- Follow-up with clients and/or foreign associates to ensure instructions are received on time to meet all deadlines.
- Prepare accounts and manage pre-bills, and have a working proficiency with accounting and billing procedures.
Core Skills & Requirements:
- Legal Administrative Assistant Diploma from a recognized college preferred.
- 5+ years direct patent work experience as an administrative assistant or a clerk. Life sciences and/or corporate background would also be an asset.
- Proficiency in the preparation and filing of Canadian, US and PCT patent applications. Knowledge of Trademarks would also be an asset.
- Strong attention to detail and exceptional grammar and proofreading skills.
- Excellent client service skills and the ability to interact in a professional, efficient manner with internal and external clients.
- Ability to take instructions, prioritize incoming work, follow through on assignments and manage ongoing tasks.
- Highly organized team player with the ability to work under pressure, manage changing priorities and meet strict deadlines.
- Working knowledge of Inprotech and CIPO’s online systems would be an asset.
- Excellent proficiency with Word 2016, Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel, Aderant, and knowledge of iManage or a similar document management system would be an asset.