Legal Assistant – Real Estate Law | Toronto ON
In this position as Legal Assistant you will have a unique blend of skills and experience providing general and administrative support in the Real Estate group. The position will require a confident, reliable and business-minded assistant with the ability to manage multiple tasks and adapt to changing priorities.
The successful candidate will be organized, discreet, detail-oriented, and have a client-first approach to work. In addition, the successful applicant must be team-oriented and accustomed to working as a work team with other assistants. Generally, the hours of work are from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. with some flexibility required to meet client needs; pre-authorized overtime may be required.
Summary of Responsibilities:
- Drafting, preparing and proofreading correspondence, accounts and various transactional documents and forms.
- Entering and maintaining lawyer’s dockets and coordinating with the Accounting Department, when necessary; preparing detailed billings.
- Dealing with and responding to client inquiries expeditiously and conducting follow up; keeping the lawyers apprised of interactions in their absence.
- Opening, maintaining and putting away files, and maintaining precedent systems using the Firm protocol for knowledge management.
- Processing incoming and outgoing mail, including maintenance of email accounts and managing bring forwards.
- Preparing and updating cheque requisitions and expense reports.
- Updating and maintaining client/matter lists and current client contact records electronically to meet Dentons’ requirements.
- General administrative duties such as scheduling appointments and meetings, photocopying materials, booking meeting rooms, making travel arrangements, etc.; working with other related Departments/services internally to provide documents and other materials on time to meet client needs.
- Maintaining and organizing files, both electronic and hard copy as required.
- Demonstrating a team approach; supporting and standing in for colleagues to cover absences; ensuring strict adherence to confidentiality; accountability in relation to both internal and external clients to achieve outputs and goals for the Department and the Firm.
- Other duties as assigned.
Core Skills & Requirements:
- Post-secondary education in business or related discipline. Legal Administration and/or Law Clerk Diploma preferred.
- Solid work experience in a legal environment with exposure to commercial real estate transactions; preference will be given to previous experience gained within a large firm environment.
- Passion for working in a team environment, willing to help others and comfortable with sharing work assignments.
- Ability to produce a high quality and quantity of work, occasionally under tight timelines.
- Able to meet deadlines, work well under pressure and take initiative using sound judgment.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (both verbal and written).
- Excellent technical proficiency in Microsoft Office applications.
- Knowledge of accounting/docketing systems and data management systems (i.e. Elite and iManage).
- Excellent organizational/follow up skills; attention to detail, proof reading and accuracy are required.
- Professional client and telephone manner and a proven track record of working with confidential information.
- Must have excellent problem solving skills, the ability to work with little instruction or supervision and be internally motivated.
- Professionalism demonstrated with colleagues, clients both in person and conversing by phone.
- Strong grammatical skills, including punctuation and proofreading, attention to detail and accuracy are a must.
- Demonstrated commitment to privacy and ethical conduct.